September 12, 2008

Ten years ago...


... I was preparing my very first commit for AROS. It wasn't much. A tiny bootsector loading few sectors from floppy. These sectors contained some startup code followed by empty function written in C. Everything else was written in assembler.

No, it wasn't working yet. It was just proof of concept. A small check whether I will be able to perform this task. I was ten years younger and much more stupid of course. It was beginning of a great adventure.

And then, three days later, the cvs mailer generated an email containing these few lines:

* schulz 15.09.1998 22:31:13

  AROS/config/ibmpc/boot/: Makefile(A), README(A), bootsect.S(A), 
  head.S(A), init.c(A), setup.S(A), video.S(A):
   
  At least. The first pre-alpha version. Not to much for now, but it 
  is.

The mysterious story of native x86 AROS begun. It's time to open some wine :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Ball000 said...

i386 native, and then iirc ATI and NVIDIA HIDDs, SFS file system, x86-64 native, USB stack, SAM440 native (and soon Efika)... somewhat important stuff in fact (and surely I forget some here).

Thank you Michal! :)

2:25 PM  
Blogger pain said...

I remember the first time I booted AROS natively from a floppy disk and a shell window appeared... it was truly impressive :-D

Thank you Michal :-)

1:01 AM  
Blogger o1i said...

Thanks from me too. A bootable AROS floppy (I should have it somewhere, if I just could find a floppy drive these days) was the start of my interest in AROS.

But 10 years also show, how old AROS already is.. and still no V1.0 ;).

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home